Benefits of Elderberry
Sambucus is a genus of flowering plants in the family Adoxaceae. It was formerly placed in the honey
Elderberry, or elder, has been used for centuries to treat wounds, when applied to the skin. It is also taken by mouth to treat respiratory illnesses such as cold and flu. In many countries, including Germany, elder flower is used to treat colds and flu. Some evidence suggests that chemicals in elder flower and berries may help reduce swelling in mucous membranes, such as the sinuses, and help relieve nasal congestion. Elder may have antiinflammatory, antiviral, and anticancer properties.
2. Elderberry has a very high ORAC
Elderberry has a very high ORAC, or oxygen radical absorbance capacity, score: over twice as much as blueberry and cranberry. Elderberry also contains trace minerals and has more vitamin C than oranges. Studies have shown that elderberry supports brain health, improves immune coordination, protects blood vessels and reduces cancer cell growth patterns in the body.
3. Beneficial components in Elderberries
Elderberries contain organic pigments, tannin, amino acids, carotenoids, flavonoids, sugar, rutin, viburnic acid, vitaman A and B and a large amount of vitamin C. They are also mildly laxative, a diuretic, and diaphoretic. Flavonoids, including quercetin, are believed to account for the therapeutic actions of the elderberry flowers and berries. According to test tube studies2 these flavonoids include anthocyanins that are powerful antioxidants and protect cells against damage.
4. Health Benefits of Elderberries
Elderberries were listed in the CRC Handbook of Medicinal Herbs as early as 1985, and are listed in the 2000 Mosby's Nursing Drug reference for colds, flu, yeast infections, nasal and chest congestion, and hay fever. In Israel, Hasassah's Oncology Lab has determined that elderberry stimulates the body's immune system and they are treating cancer and AIDS patients with it. The wide range of medical benefits (from flu and colds to debilitating asthma, diabetes, and weight loss) is probably due to the enhancement of each individual's immune system.
5. Are Elderberries poisonous
Most species of Sambucus berries are edible when picked ripe and then cooked. Both the skin and pulp can be eaten. However, it is important to note that
Road Safety Tips
Most Amazing Roads
Rules to play Kabaddi
Rules to play Squash
Saffron Or Kesar Get Beautiful Skin
Class 9 - Exponents of Real Numbers
National Film Awards - Number Quiz
Home Remedies - Headache due to exposure to cold air
1. Mix 1 teaspoon finely ground cinnamon (dalchini) in 1 teaspoon water and apply on the affected parts. Headache on one side w Powder equal quantities of liquorice (mulathi) and cumin (jeera). Take ¼ teaspoon every day along with 1 teaspoon honey for a month.
2. Mix 1 teaspoon each of the following powders and store: camphor (kapoor), nutmeg (jaiphal), cardamom (chhoti illaichi) and cloves (laung). Take 2 pinches with warm water. Heart attack w Take ½ teaspoon garlic (lasan) powder every day.